Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A NEW SWEDE ON THE BLOCK OR HALF YEAR BEST BESTED




I had been thinking about my five favourite reads for the first six months of the year last week. There was a discussion thread on 4 Mystery Addicts entitled Mid Year tops and bottoms. It brought home to what a difficult task it was going to be to pick five best reads at the end of the year.
I finally decided on my five but had to leave out some formidable contenders. Here are my choices for books I finished before the end of June with links to the reviews on Euro Crime.

Ken Bruen- Cross 

Andrea Camilleri- The Paper Moon 

Philip Kerr- A Quiet Flame 

Marek Krajewski- Death in Breslau  with the author interviewed here and here.

Fred Vargas- This Night's Foul Work 

I had with reluctance eliminated books by Massimo Carlotto, K.O.Dahl, R.N.Morris and Jean-Patrick Manchette from consideration and felt that anything in the second half of the year would have to be very good to break into that top group.

But the book I finished today Echoes From The Dead by Johan Theorin translated from the Swedish by Marlaine Delargy [who also translates Asa Larsson's novels] was a stunner. This book won Sweden's Best First Crime Novel award and I am not surprised, but as my review will appear on Euro Crime I won't say any more now. 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you'd like it!
It is brilliant, I think. Absolutely fantastic.

Norm, have you read Helene Tursten? I think she is also superb - the "next generation" Sjowall and Wahloo. I am completely blown away.

Det Inspector Huss
The Torso
The Glass Devil

12:50 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

No but if she is anywhere near as good as Johan Theoren I will give her a try.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

Sounds like a good one to look out for Norm. Thanks for the pointer

5:26 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Kerrie, it usually takes me about a week to read a 300-400 page book. I read this in two and a bit days, it is a page turner and kept me away from the TV.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home