Sunday, June 29, 2008

A GOOD YEAR


Despite all the interest in the election campaigns in the USA and Zimbabwe it was British Health Secretary Alan Johnson who I think has come up with the political quote of the year so far.

Referring to the the Prime Minister Gordon Brown he said [from the Daily Telegraph]:

'In terms of what he is achieving in very difficult circumstances, I think it's been a good year'.

I am just glad Mr Johnson is not the education secretary insisting on a syllabus that teaches that 1066 was a good year for King Harold, 1812 was a good year for Napoleon, and 44 BC was fantastic for Julius Caesar.

5 Comments:

Blogger Philip Amos said...

Do you remember Baghdad Bob -- the Iraqi Minister of Information who kept on announcing the imminent surrender of the invading forces even after they had occupied Baghdad? Ah well, they do say there is always a bright side. "Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

1:49 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I also remember the BBC reporter who was driven round Bagdhad and said he could not see any Americans while they were arriving in the city centre. I think that dictatorships like Saddam's become so good at propaganda that they can fool themselves and their supporters.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Baghdad Bob or whatever his name was, was eventually executed, though?

Very dry post, Norm. Very good. 1945 good year for bunkers, etc.

On my "two posts for the price of one comment" system, I am glad to see you've started on the Theorin book (Echoes of the Dead), and hope you enjoy it as much as I did, which was tremendously.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Maxine, the Johan Theorin is absolutely brilliant!
I am already on page 242 and I only started it yesterday.
These Scandinavians can really write dark melancholic books it must be the long dark winters.
I should have said Nordics because the Icelanders are pretty good as well.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

Though I was sorry to read that Karen (Euro Crime) did not think the next Kjell Erickssen very good. Pity, as I enjoyed the one I read. (Princess of Burundi). But not as good as some, I think.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home