Tuesday, June 01, 2010

FRESH AIR READING



Yesterday I was able to sit out and enjoy reading in the fresh air.
Unfortunately I had left my hardback Thirteen Hours by Deon Meyer upstairs so I could nag my dedicated womenfolk to fetch it for me, or alternatively guard me on a stair climbing expedition. But for once giving them a rest [they have looked after me so well] I decided to pick up a short paperback to read, and before I knew it I was fifty pages in and completely hooked.
I went on to finish it later on that evening.
The book was Needle in a Haystack [La aguya en el pajar] by Ernesto Mallo, and this novel, set in Argentina under the military dictatorship, has got to be a contender for next year's International Dagger, if it is eligible.
I will post a short review of the book later, but here is a snippet from this superb book to whet your appetite.

The first lesson is this: to cook well you have to cook with pleasure, otherwise the food turns out bad. My grandma used to say you had to cook with love. Well, it's the same thing, and cooking and loving have several things in common, not least their unpleasant side. Meaning? Tears. And so, chopping the onion is your job.

By the way as you can see from the photograph my horribly white leg is healing well, although the phrase 'keyhole surgery' obviously did not apply in my case.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dorte H said...

They just didnĀ“t know they were only supposed to make TWO keyholes!

It is good to see you can get around a bit, and good that you had a great read near you.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - Thanks for this review. It sounds like a real winner of a book. It's good to hear, too, that your leg is healing so well, keyhole surgery or no.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

This looks amazing. The book, that is. Sorry about your boo-boo (I speak 3 year old entirely too much).
Amy

www.theblacksheepdances.com

11:47 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Dorte and Margot. I was joking from the X-ray they had no choice but to open wide and have a good look.

Amy, when I read this looks amazing, I thought you were referring to my legs. ;o)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

We'll have to have a knees-up next year at CrimeFest.
==========================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home