Saturday, March 03, 2007

FREUDIAN ANALYSIS


Something strange has happened I am reading a book by the Robert R. Slaughter Professor of Law at Yale University featuring a Viennese psychiatrist, and it is top of the best seller list. [Daily Telegraph paperback fiction 3 March 2007]
The world turned upside down!
This shows the power of television, because Jed Rubenfeld's The Interpretation of Murder was a Richard and Judy Book Club selection. This is a British version of the Oprah Winfrey book club in the USA.
There is the photograph of the Flatiron Building on the cover, and I am sure Freud would have something to say about the part this played in the novel's success.
The history of this era is one I have studied at length, and this is helping me enjoy the book even more than usual. Although I have only read part one I have become involved with the characters, interested in how the plot will develop, and intrigued as to what other historical figures will be included.


Do not play this piece fast.
It is never right to play Ragtime fast.....
Scott Joplin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, and I have bought this one on your recommendation too, and you haven't even finished it yet! I have been curiously put off this book up until reading your posts about it. You are a very persuasive reviewer.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks for your kind comments, Maxine.
I can agree with reviews so far on this one. I am still surprised that a novel with so much historical content has climbed to the top of the bestseller lists.
I feel a bit like Groucho Marx, not joining a club that would have him as a member.
A book everyone is reading can't be that good.
In my book shop I would not sell this novel to anyone who could not name who the US President was at the time the book was set, August 1909. It would not be good for sales, but it would make me feel superior.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home