Wednesday, February 28, 2007

SHADOWS NOT SUN

I so very rarely dislike the crime fiction books I read, that I thought I would look up the Amazon reviews of Ake Edwardson's work.

From Rachel Walker's review of Never End [there isn't a review of Sun and Shadow on Amazon.co.uk]

Indeed I did - for despite the flaws rectified on this showing, Never End is passionless. And that's its main problem. And it's a big one. The book is dark, but cold, and the writing isn't alive. It's almost exemplary in everything but this most intangible, but crucial of ways. There's little fire in the prose or the plot, and that's why this novel is a lot harder to truly enjoy than it should be. I can forgive almost everything - as I do the plotting flaws in the first novel - except the absence of that vital spark.

I think Rachel has pin pointed succintly why I did not enjoy Sun and Shadow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, Norm/Uriah. Karen of Eurocrime and I have been musing about this series. As usual, it is one that is translated out of order for impossible to understand reasons. I wonder if that has anything to do with lack of enjoyment? Anyway, in view of the size of my TBR pile, I will regard your post and Rachel's words as reasons to desist from this author.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I usually really like the Scandinavians and I know I have been unusually preoccupied lately so I was quite pleased to read the amazon review.
There was definitely something missing, and plot flaws.
I have started another 500 page blockbuster The Interpretation of Murder, and that has gripped my attention in the first few chapters. I think I am going to enjoy it much more, but then I am fascinated by the historical period.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home