Wednesday, February 28, 2007

PSYCHOPATHOLOGY OF EVERYDAY READING


I noticed last week that Peter at Detectives Beyond Borders had on his blog a very interesting book cover of The Mystery of the Hansom Cab, a Fergus Hume classic crime tale.

It inspired me to pick up and start reading The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld, because of the cover with a photograph of the Flatiron Building in New York. The novel is set in 1909, slap bang in the middle of my favourite historical period. The "ragtime" era with its larger than life characters, and a mixture of apalling poverty and vast wealth I find fascinating , so I think I will enjoy this novel.


I can justify a European connection because the novel features the Viennese psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, and while reading I can play my ragtime CDs by Scott Joplin, Thomas Million Turpin, and James Scott as well as marches by John Philip Sousa.

The first twenty pages are very promising......


"analysis is rather like being undressed in public. After you overcome the initial humiliation, it's quite refreshing."

That's what I tell all my patients," said Brill, especially the women....."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, Norm/Uriah. I had been put off this book by the Richard/Judy effect, it being top of bestseller lists etc, but you are definitely making me intrigued... I await your full review with great interest.

(Thanks for your very nice comment on Petrona earlier this evening, by the way)

1:25 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I have to admit that I had not seen until after I bought it that it was high the best seller lists. I overcame the Richard/Judy effect because I don't think my copy had a sticker on it, and I did like the cover..
I will post on this in the next few days, but I am really enjoying the style and content of the novel. Jeb Rubenfeld knows how to write to keep your interest, and impart the history of the period at the same time. I am only about 60 pages in at the moment but savouring every page.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Sorry that should be Jed Rubenfeld not Jeb.
Like Maxine I try and avoid the best seller lists probably because the last best seller I read was the Da Vinci Code. Many years before I had read the Leigh and Baigent Holy Blood and Holy Grail.
I was wondering what new twist Dan Brown would come up with....well the court said it wasn't plagiarism.
"Interpretation" so far is in a different class from the Da Vinci.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home