Friday, October 15, 2010

THE SWEDISH DECADE



Apparently some Swedish novel was named crime fiction book of the decade at Boucheron 2010.

I have done my own very simple analysis of the years 2000-2009 in Swedish crime fiction to discover who was the Swedish crime writer of the decade.
My system involved awarding three points for a Nordic Glass Key, two points for winning the Basta Svenska Kriminalroman, and one point for a nomination.

The result was inconclusive as it produced a triple tie for first place!

Stieg Larsson- 8 points [Glass Key 2006, 2008: basta svenska 2006]
Hakan Nesser- 8 points [Glass Key 2000: basta svenska 2007: nomination 2000, 2001, 2009]
Anders Roslund-Borge Hellstrom- 8 points [Glass Key 2005: basta svenska 2009: nomination 2005, 2006, 2007]

Having finished reading the thriller Three Seconds by Roslund-Hellstrom I have started another Swedish blockbuster, Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End by Leif G.W.Persson.

5 Comments:

Anonymous kathy d. said...

This is reminding me that I promised myself to go back to Nordic noir, as I call it, before the end of the year.

I plan to read "Roseanna," by Sjowall/Wahloo, "A Mind's Eye," by Nesser," and "The Redbreast," by Nesbo, unless some other titles grab me.

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Erin C. said...

Swedish crime fiction delivers intense intellectual pressure and then suddenly shifts into serenity.
Incomparable yet recognizable,definitely not the story itself, but its class of authors. Cheers!

6:10 AM  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

I'm surprised Henning Mankell didn't make this list. Isn't he the most-read Swedish author worldwide, or was until Stieg Larsson came along, but Mankell may still outdo Larsson in readership.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Kathy, you are correct Henning Mankell dominated the previous decade when he would have collected 11 points.

Nordic Glass Key: 1992
Basta svenska: 1991,1995
nominations: 1993,1996, 1997,1998

9:12 AM  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

I'm so tempted to go back to Nordics, and a few English and U.S. books, but I must hold to my informal global challenge and finish it.

Thanks for all of your Scandinavian Golden Age updates.

I would love to hibernate with tea and cookies and finish the 7 Sjowall/Wahloo I haven't yet read, but the Challenges are calling for closure.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home