Monday, October 04, 2010

LIGHT BUT NOT LIGHTWEIGHT



Away in the beautiful English countryside for a couple of days I had to put aside the bulky 500 page exciting blockbuster I was reading and take with me a much lighter two hundred page thriller, Affairs of State by Dominique Manotti.
Manotti's Affairs of State was translated by Ros Schwartz and Amanda Hopkinson, the same team that won the 2008 International Dagger with Lorraine Connection.

Dominique Manotti, a professor of nineteenth-century economic history in Paris, paints a picture of French society, politicians, and law enforcement officers that makes the bosses of a Mexican drug cartel look honest by comparison.
More on Affairs of State later this week, but I just loved the quote that precedes the prologue.

Money corrupts, money buys, money crushes, money kills, money ruins, money rots men's consciences.

Any ideas who said that? Answer tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

I'm looking forward to read your review. I hope to read it soon.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - I really like that quote, too! I look forward to your review.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

I think I may have an idea because I have read this book! So I must not say, as it would not be fair.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, and the blockbuster if that is what I think it is.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thank Margot and Jose Ignacio. It always surprises me how some writers can put so much plot in so few pages.

Thanks Maxine, yes the blockbuster was given to me by a very kind lady. ;o)
Affairs of State is definitely reminding me of Spiral.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

Sounds like I'd better move this one closer to the top of the TBR pile.

The quote sounds like Gordon Gekko but I have a feeling it's someone a bit closer to home with respect to the book...some former leader me thinks

12:58 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Bernadette, your on the right track.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

I looked, but I won't reveal the originator of the "money" quote. Tres interesting.

Can't wait for your review of "Affairs of State." In fact, whether or not I purchase it rests on this review--not totally.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home