Monday, September 20, 2010

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS



I referred to the book I have finished reading a few days ago here and mentioned this interesting quote:

If stereotypes held it should have been laughably easy; psychiatrist versus dentist, no contest.

I am still thinking about my review of this intriguing book, and I have to go away for a few days so I thought today I would just contribute to the meme Eight Questions.
I haven't been tagged, but I will always take the chance to blog about my favourite subject, me.

1] If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Why?

I would want a powerful "tractor beam" to pick up dictators, certain celebrities and various politicians and deposit them on an isolated desert island. Why? The world would possibly be a better place without some people.

2] Who is your style icon?

Peter Falk in the TV series Columbo.

3] What is your favourite quote?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy"- Anne Frank

4] What is the best compliment you've ever received?

When my children say 'You are the best dad in the world'.
Usually followed by 'Can I.......'

5] What playlist/CD is in your CD player right now?

At the moment I am listening to Arvo Part's Beatus, in a recording by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir conducted by Tonu Kaljuste. A very pure sound and a bit different [it belongs to Mrs Crime Scraps] from my usual fare of jazz, country and Italian opera.

6] Are you a night owl, or a morning person?

When I was working I was definitely a morning person, now I am a little bit of both. Late night and early morning are good times for thinking, and for watching all those telvision programs I record and never get a chance to watch.

7] Do you prefer cats or dogs?

Definitely cats, although we did have a beautiful King Charles Spaniel when the children were younger. She insisted on going for walks at 2.00 am in the morning, a problem you don't have with cats.
Our last cat, Willow, did not take to city life when we moved from the country [she kept on getting locked into our neighbour's garage] so with regret we gave her up for adoption.

8] What is the meaning behind your blog name?

Crime- the blog is theoretically about crime fiction.
Scraps- when I was a child we lived in Camberwell with our garden backing on to a 'scrap' metal yard owned by the notorious Richardson Gang.
Years later I learned that the street opposite my childhood home, Wyndham Road had been the abode of the famous Victorian detective, Jack Whicher.

More answers to Eight Questions at DJS Krimiblog, Petrona, Confessions of a Mystery Novelist, and The Game's Afoot.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - I love your responses! That tractor beam would be a great idea.... And I always thought Columbo was a terrific character; thanks for reminding me of him.

Oh, and just one more thing ;-), I didn't know you had lived near a place owned by the Richardson gang. Interesting.....

5:02 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Margot.
After Camberwell we moved to King's Road, Chelsea, where the criminals wore even smarter suits and toppled governments.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Great answers Norman, agree with Margot on the first two, the tractor and Columbo.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Mason Canyon said...

Enjoyed learning new things about you. Columbo is a character I always enjoy watching. The music you are listening to sounds interesting.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

6:27 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Norman, we love when you write about the most important thing in your life :D

And I *said* that any reader could consider himself tagged or something to the effect.

Why did I grow up in such a boring neighbourhood that I have to make up my own crimes??? (Well, perhaps I donĀ“t really mind).

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home