Thursday, October 14, 2010

THE ELLIS PETERS SHORTLIST

























Thanks to Shots Magazine for this information about the 2010 Ellis Peters Historical Shortlist.

The 2009 shortlist had five out the six books from the Second World War era, with the action occurring in 1934/1954,1941, 1942, 1944, 1944, and as a relief 1626.

This year's shortlist also lacks a little in chronological balance:
Heartstone- C.J.Sansom
Heresy- S.J.Parris
Revenger- Rory Clements
The Anatomy of Ghosts- Andrew Taylor
To Kill a Tsar- Andrew Williams

The books are respectively set in 1545, 1583, 1592, 1786, 1881, 1945.
Perhaps someone has been watching the Tudors?

I am a bit of a history nut, but as I have only read one these books I don't think I have the time to read the remaining five before the judges make their decision on 4 November.
Last year I read the complete shortlist and was very chuffed to pick the winner Philip Kerr's If The Dead Rise Not.

The only one of this year's shortlist I have read is the excellent Washington Shadow by Aly Monroe. I should point out this charming author named a law officer in her book after me, and the paperback edition features my review for Euro Crime.
I am therefore a little biased, and would love to see Aly Monroe win this prestigious award with her second book.
The competition however is fierce with previous winners Andrew Taylor [2001 and 2003], and C.J. Sansom [2005] in opposition.
I shall be most interested in who wins, and hopefully will find the time [and finances] to read more of the shortlist before the decision date.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dorte H said...

I donĀ“t read that much historical fiction, but I presume some historical periods are more popular these years than others.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

Oh dear, I haven't read any of them though I have Heresy here waiting for me and I am soon to start the C J Sansom series (nothing like being behind the eight ball)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Dorte, I was a bit surprised that Ariana Franklin, Shona Maclean and Roger Morris did not get nominated and they went on a Tudor binge.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Bernadette, I don't think I will read anymore of this shortlist now as I have such a mountain of books to read, and lots of Swedish Beck DVDs to watch. I might read the winner if I haven't already.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

Interesting list Norman. As you say someone likes the Tudors or perhaps more correctly the Elizabethans

1:23 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Kerrie, I think Heartstone is set in 1545 which would put it in the reign of Henry VIII. Elizabeth I did not come to the throne until 1558.
Sorry to be a pedantic old git, but when you went to a school where the houses were named Grenville, Spenser, Sidney, Marlowe, Drake and Raleigh you had your Tudors, Elizabethans and Stuarts drummed into you!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

Hi all,

I haven't read any of the books, as I don't tend to read historical fiction. The only possible one is the one written about 1945, but I am not keen on any books about WW II, not because the writing isn't good, but because I don't want that period in my mind even more than it is already.

But I look forward to the book reviews and will read all of them.

And again, wonderful photo collage.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Kathy, I have noted that the rest of the shortlist are still in hardback so I will give them a miss until they appear in PB.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home