Friday, January 18, 2008

THE EDGAR NOMINATIONS 2008


Thanks to David J.Montgomery at Crime Fiction Dossier for news of the Edgar nominations.

The nominees in the major categories are:



BEST NOVEL

Christine Falls by Benjamin Black (Henry Holt and Company)

Priest by Ken Bruen (St. Martin's Minotaur)

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (HarperCollins)

Soul Patch by Reed Farrel Coleman (Bleak House Books)

Down River by John Hart (St. Martin's Minotaur)


BEST FIRST NOVEL BY AN AMERICAN AUTHOR

Missing Witness by Gordon Campbell (HarperCollins – William Morrow)

In the Woods by Tana French (Penguin Group – Viking)

Snitch Jacket by Christopher Goffard (The Rookery Press)

Head Games by Craig McDonald (Bleak House Books)

Pyres by Derek Nikitas (St. Martin's Minotaur)


BEST PAPERBACK ORIGINAL

Queenpin by Megan Abbott (Simon & Schuster)

Blood of Paradise by David Corbett (Random House - Mortalis)

Cruel Poetry by Vicki Hendricks (Serpent's Tail)

Robbie's Wife by Russell Hill (Hard Case Crime)

Who is Conrad Hirst? by Kevin Wignall (Simon & Schuster)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have three comments on your post.
1. So Tana French is American? I thought she was Irish, so I have learned something.
2. I had better get on and read Ken Bruen. Seriously.
3. This is always happening to me. I am a crime fiction addict, yet I have hardly read any of these books. Tana French is about it, out of this lot. Sigh. (Though I do own Christine Falls -- or rather, I gave it as a present to my husband as I thought he might like it, I am not sure why, now.)
Maxine.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I also thought Tana French was Irish, but Karen posted that she was born in Vermont.
best wishes
Norm

1:34 PM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

I am leery of Americans who write crime novels with British settings -- Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes are not on my A list, let us say -- so I did a search to see if I could clarify French's origins. There is very little info available, but her site says she grew up in Ireland, Italy, the U.S., and Malawi, studied acting at Trinity College, Dublin, and has lived in Dublin since 1990. One comment she makes in an interview suggests that most of her childhood years were spent in Malawi. There is on Youtube an interview with her, and listening to that I hear an English accent, which may come from Malawi, with a slight Irish lilt and some Irish --which may also be American -- vowel sounds. All in all, it leaves me in no doubt that she is far more Irish than anything else, regardless of where she was born.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Yes, I remember Edward Wright winning a prize for English authors because the book was published first in England.
Elizabeth George's books seem heavy tomes which I have never read. But I have watched the TV series based on her novels, but that is probably because of delicious Sharon Small who plays Barbara Havers. It's my age again.....

7:36 AM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

I thought we might be much the same age, Norm, because of our shared acquaintance with Muffin the Mule and Tom Merry. Now I am quite sure we are, and I am relieved to discover that I am not the only man of advancing years who harbours age-inappropriate thoughts about Sharon Small, who is most certainly my one and only but very good reason for watching that TV series.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Phillip, later this year a Beatles song about age and love will be appropriate for me. That might give you a clue to my age ;).

1:36 AM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

Ah, then you are just a little bit ahead of me. Mine is ingeniously encoded in my email address.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

You're a youngster!
Now I work out I must have been 10 when I watched Muffin the Mule!

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home