Friday, January 11, 2008

LOST IN TRANSLATION


Peter of Detectives beyond Borders reminded me that there is an award for translators. The Duncan Lawrie International Dagger is awarded by the British Crime Writer's Association for translated crime fiction.


But this is a joint award for both author and translator of a specific book and the author gets top billing, both literally and financially.
"The Duncan Lawrie International Dagger for the best crime novel translated into English, with £5000 going to the author and £1000 to the translator."


Past winners of the International Dagger have been:


2006 Fred Vargas and Sian Reynolds for The Three Evangelists

2007 Fred Vargas and Sian Reynolds for Wash This Blood Clean From My Hand


There should be a separate award for a body of work, or a lifetime achievement in translating such as the Cartier Diamond Dagger of the CWA, The Eye of the Private Eye Writers, or the Grandmaster from the Mystery Writers of America.


4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I think there's at least one other award just for translators, though I can't recall details.

I like your idea for a lifetime award for translators. You should get the ball rolling on this. I don't know about lifetime achievement, but two of my current favorites are Mike Mitchell for his translations of Friedrich Glauser and Sian Reynolds for her translations of Vargas.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

1:34 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Yes, I must collect a list of translators together for a Hall of Fame.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my two nominees, and I can guess who your first one will be. Have you read this article?
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

3:42 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks for that article Peter.
If I am only allowed two nominations that will be tricky...
I will post again on this later in the week.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home