Tuesday, March 13, 2007

NO SIN BUT IGNORANCE


Lindsey Davis was interviewed in the April edition of Writing Magazine, and her Marcus Didius Falco was described as being a kind of Philip Marlow-type detective. Three more times the article refers to Philip Marlow, or Marlow!


From a previous post:


Alleyn founded a "College of God's gift" at Dulwich, which was attended over the years by such distinguished alumni as explorer Ernest Shackelton, C.S.Forester, Raymond Chandler, P.G.Wodehouse and myself.
Dulwich College had 6 athletic houses named for Tudor or Stuart personalities; Drake, Sidney, Raleigh, Grenville [my house which was usually last in competitions], Spenser and Marlowe.
That is why Raymond Chandler's detective is Phillip Marlowe, with an e.
It also explains why Robert B Parker presumably in homage to Chandler called his detective Spenser.


Raymond Chandler's detective is Marlowe with an e, named after the playwright Christopher Marlowe.


Well now I have got that little diatribe off my chest I feel better.
"I count religion but a childish toy, and hold there is no sin but ignorance."The Jew of Malta; Christopher Marlowe 1564-1593

Review of Interpretations of a Murder coming soon.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to read your footnote!

Marlow to me is a town near Maidenhead. One could never mix it up with all those other Marlowes you mention, surely? (Evidently, someone did.)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I better get on and finish the Interpretations!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It's a frequent mix-up, Maxine, at least once on jacket copy for a book: http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/2006/10/jakob-arjounis-devices.html Evidently that publisher takes copy editing no more seriously than does the Philadelphia ******er.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my sympathies, Norm! When I went to the local grammar I chose my mother's house as nothing else seemed appropriate. (How could I abandon family loyalties?) Alas, it proved to be the one always fighting for last place in any competition when I was there. But we did have some talent and magic moments too! To this day, I remain proud of the magic moments of the red badged Avalon, especially one in particular that I participated in (to do with choral singing, where I conducted - LOL!).

I was even House Captain for one year, if I remember correctly (so long ago now), but it was not the year we had an Eisteddfod. The sports event took place every year, but Avalon was not a sporty house for some reason.

Oh Norm, you have just brought back a flood of mixed, but essentially very good memories...

2:27 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

When my son Ben was at school his housemaster just happened to allocate a star South African rugby player to his own house. I think he claimed that it was pure chance, and he had no knowledge of the young man's rugby prowess!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home