Sunday, March 25, 2007

COMFORT ZONE




"Am half way through Shape of Water. All you have said about this series is true. Wonderful."




It certainly is a boost when someone who really knows her onions Maxine at Petrona agrees with my recommendations.




We have been sharing the house with plumbers and electricians, while our 24 year old bathroom and kitchen are "Grand Designed". After one week I now know why the participants on that program look like they have spent time being questioned by the Camorra or Mafia.




My current read is Through a Glass Darkly by Donna Leon. I certainly need to relax with a book in which I know the characters very well, and therefore I am under no "intellectual" stress. Returning to Brunetti is like putting on a familiar pair of old carpet slippers, very comfortable.




6 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I've never read Donna Leon. Any recommendations on which to read first?
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely comment, Norm/Uriah, that makes my day! I very much enjoyed this Donna Leon outing so hope you do, too. My sympathies with the "house works" -- we did something similar a couple of years ago with our similarily "aged" kitchen. It seemed to drag on for ages, but like having a child, eventually you forget the awfulness of the experience and enjoy the end-result;-) (just don't have too many of them)

12:53 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Peter, there are 16 Brunettis so I would not start with an early book in case you get addicted.
I thought Friends in High Places was one of the best number 9. But Acqua Alta was very good also.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Maxine, while I am trying to post a reply to Peter, the plumber is crying and I have had to remove all sharp instruments and close the windows.
The joys of modern water saving EU approved toilet cisterns!

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And while you fight with this I have a builder who works to Tardis time. 10am Sunday morning? Turns up near 1pm. Makes a start, then disappears to another site to retrieve drill bits or something similar. Takes at least half an hour. Comes back and says, when asked, that they asked him to move furniture...

Did most of the job later though and my kitchen will very soon be complete. Finally. So looking forward to one room that takes the biscuit!

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter, I don't think there are any spoilers/seismic shifts in the hero's personal life etc, so I don't think it matters which you start with. I also really liked Acqua Alta.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home