Friday, March 18, 2011

A LILY OF THE FIELD: JOHN LAWTON



In 1934 Vienna concert pianist Viktor Rosen, a Jew in exile from Germany, teaches Meret Voytek, a ten-year old cello prodigy, but three years later as the Nazi menace approaches Rosen packs up his possessions and leaves for London.
Meret is not Jewish but she sees the effect on her city and her orchestra of the Nazi race policies; later she is arrested as a political prisoner and sent to Auschwitz.
Ironically Viktor Rosen, and Hungarian physicist Karel Szabo, who was working at Cambridge, are sent to the British internment camp on the Isle of Man along with a disparate foreign born group that includes Rod Troy, brother of Inspector Frederick Troy, the main protagonist of the series.

The big man replied in flawless English that he was, "fine with English," and Kornfeld readily deduced that this was yet another long-term resident, doubtless convinced of his own Englishness, caught in the net of a foreign birth, and contradictory truths.
...........
"I'm Rodyon Troy, from Vienna. I think you will find quite a few of us are.

Physicist Karel Szabo is lucky and gets sent to Canada and from there to New Mexico to work on the Manhattan Project.

"I was thinking of a line from the Bhagavad Gita, 'I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' "

Moving on to post war London, the 1948 Olympic host city, the story becomes a police procedural with Frederick Troy investigating, in his inimitable style, a murder on the Northern Line of a Polish refugee.

Every country is pitching in to stop this event looking shabbier than it is. Between you and me it's a threadbare business, cobbled together, and I dearly wish the Mongolians or Mexicans were staging the games not us. We cannot afford it.

The story becomes imbued with large doses of English eccentricity and that considerably lightens the mood. A string of cameo appearances from lanky lunatic squadron leader Angus Pakenham, his spare false leg Ernest, crazy Polish pathologist Kolankiewicz, Jack Wildeve, Guy Burgess, doctor Anna Pakenham in a backless dress, and Quentin Crisp brought a smile to this reader's face.

"And so you find me here. Maudlin pissed, very much alive, chatting to a bloke on his way to a fancy-dress do. Once he gets the fruit hat on he''ll be a dead ringer for Carmen Miranda."
Troy thought better of explaining that Mr Crisp was in his everyday garb and said instead, "And you called me why, exactly?"

A Lily of the Field deals with very serious subjects, the death factory at Auschwitz, the Nazis destruction of the artistic and scientific life of Central Europe, the beginning of the Nuclear Age, the Cold War, spooks, codes, guns and the problems of post war austerity Britain, but it still keeps at its centre the charmingly eccentric Frederick Troy-part Endeavour Morse, part Bulldog Drummond.
This superb novel confirms John Lawton as one of today's finest writers of historical fiction.
The Troy series is definitely one not to be missed if you are interested in the social and political history of twentieth century Britain.

Troy novels in chronological order with links to my reviews:

Riptide [Bluffing Mr Churchill in the USA]
A Lily of the Field
Blue Rondo [Flesh Wounds in the USA]
A Little White Death

7 Comments:

Blogger Dorte H said...

I do read historical fiction now and then, but only when I have time to absorb them. They tend to demand much more of the reader than, say, Camilla Läckberg ;D

So some subgenres are for busy workdays, others are for quiet holidays.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

Oh, I wish I could read this, but I avoid WWII history about Nazi destruction of people, art and everything else this totally anti-life regime carried out. It's too horrific.

This sounds like an excellent book.

Lawton wrote an essay about anti-Semitism in England prior to and during that war, which explains a lot, including the deportation of Jewish people who were fleeing the Nazis. It's very informative.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

You have yet to lead me astray with historical fiction recommendations Norman so I'm adding this one to my wishlist immediately. Do I need to read the earlier books in the series first?

10:29 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Dorte the first part of this book is harrowing but the second part almost seems like a different book.

Kathy I respect your avoidance of WWII themes. I recommend the post war Lawton books Old Flames and Blue Rondo?

1:46 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Bernadette, sorry to lead you astray. ;o)

I tried to read them in chronological order, rather than the published order. I think they all can be read as a one off, but I think you will get more pleasure by reading them in order.

Chronological order of most of the action with publication dates:

Second Violin 2007
Riptide 2001
Blackout 1995
A Lily of the Field 2011
Old Flames 1996
Blue Rondo 2005
A Little White Death 1998

2:02 AM  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

Thanks for your understanding. I wish I could read Lawton's books on WWII. They sound amazing.

I have had utmost respect for him and his writing since I read his essay on British anti-Semitism.

At some point, I will try his post-war books, or else stick to his essays if I locate more.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous crimeficreader said...

I am so looking forward to reading this one when my reading commitments are completed (not too long now!); my interest has increased from reading your comments and I wonder what delights in have in store.

Norm, due to the mystery you set to be solved in an earlier post, I refrained from comment so as not to spoil. But I do know that there is one hell of a makeover in A Lily of the Field. And I am happy to trust Lawton's imagination yet again!

All best,

Rhian

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home