Tuesday, June 22, 2010

MARKETING STICKERS



I would not seem so much like a grumpy old man if booksellers did not do things that would annoy most sane people.
The book of course did not feature Kurt Wallander, or Kenneth Branagh, and a good part of the story wasn't even set in Sweden.

Today I found Tiverton's Waterstonea the paperback of Johan Theorin's The Darkest Room being sold with a sticker that trumpeted:

" The new Stieg Larsson: Simon Robertson Waterstone's crime buyer".

Mr Robertson surely a writer who has won:

The CWA John Creasey New Blood Dagger 2009 and the Best Swedish Crime Fiction Debut 2007 [Basta svenska debut] for Echoes From The Dead,

The Nordic Glass Key 2009 and Best Swedish Crime Novel 2008 [Basta svenska kriminalroman] for The Darkest Room, a book which has also been shortlisted for this year's International Dagger can be marketed on his own merits.

Both books have been translated by Marlaine Delargy, who also translates Asa Larsson.

What do Stieg Larsson's books and Johan Theorin's books have in common, beyond the fact that the two authors are Swedes? Their protagonists perhaps?

Gerlof Davidsson and Lisbeth Salander? Now there is a partnership to dream about.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - Oh, that is irritating! I don't consider that being a "grumpy old man" at all. That's just plain annoying! Although it would be interesting to see how Lisbeth and Gerlof got on.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Margot- I was in a good mood as I had managed to walk from Tiverton's market car park through the market and on to the main street.
I was quite pleased with that and therefore I restrained myself from pointing out to the staff the stupidity of the sticker.
They really do underestimate the intelligence of readers.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

Dear God is nothing sacred? Really all TGWTDT and The Darkest Room have in common is that they are both books.

Though I have to say I quite like the idea of a meetup between Lisbeth and Gerlof...it certainly wouldn't be dull.

Congratulations on your improving mobility though Norman, good to hear that you are well and truly on the mend. And as for the sticker, I guess in the current economy you can't blame Mr Robertson for doing whatever he can to flog his product and with a bit of luck his stupidity might bring Theorin a few more fans :)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Bernadette.
If I get any quicker over the ground I might be flown out to the World Cup. England have played as if they have all had knee surgery recently.
I can understand what he was trying to do but the shop display did not do any of the books justice. They should have featured all the Scandinavian books together to draw attention to them.
But what do I know.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I love the idea of teaming Davidsson and Salander!

I recently took one of those unnecessary online quizzes that proceeded to tell me I was a dragon. If I were, I think I'd breathe on the coattails of many marketing gurus because they certainly know how to get me talking to myself!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home