Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A PLEASANT SURPRISE IN THE POST



The postman brought me a nice surprise this morning.
I needed cheering up after watching various politicians on the news giving us Silvio Berlusconi impressions.

No party now had a majority, and the existing administration, led by Bruning and Severing, carried on as a minority government with a correspondingly weakened political legitimacy. Beyond this, too, a sense of impotence had spread throughout the party leadership during the long months of passive toleration of Bruning's savage policy of cuts.

[From The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans]

But Rob Kitchin, Professor at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, wiped away the gloom and these morbid and pessimistic thoughts by sending me a signed ARC of his second crime novel The White Gallows [release date June 12th].
I really enjoyed his first book The Rule Book, and was chuffed to see part of my review was used as a blurb.

I did however have a quick glance at the acknowledgements at the end of The White Gallows and noted three books 'proved useful in providing information about IG Farben, Monowitz, the Ahnerbe, the Jewish Skeleton project, and Skorzeny's time in Ireland.'

Industry and Ideology:IG Farben in the Nazi Era-Peter Hayes
The Master Plan:Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust-Heather Pringle
Hitler's Irishmen-Terence O'Neill

Maybe my choice of the Richard Evans quote was relevant to The White Gallows as well as the political result of balanced parliaments.
I suspect Rob Kitchin's second novel featuring Detective Superintendent Colm McEvoy is going to be an intriguing read, and I will move it into a prime slot on my TBR pile.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - Oh, you are lucky! And you deserve the recognition, too. I hope you'll thoroughly enjoy the novel, and if The Rule Book is any indication, you will.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

You too :D

Rob has really played Santa - I was so happy yesterday when I found it in the post.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Santa was here, too. I did a little happy dance when I saw what it was. An hour or two later I happened to notice my (very first) blurb. I was gobsmacked into total silence!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

It was my first blurb in an English language book {I had had one in a Spanish translation and a publishers website}, all very exciting!

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home