Tuesday, April 27, 2010

IT SNOWS THERE



Kerrie at the brilliant Mysteries in Paradise has discussed the definition of "Scandinavian" with relevance to the Scandinavian Reading Challenge.

I am going to follow the 'Oxford Dictionary of English' definitions, simply because I want to read Hyopothermia by Arnaldur Indridason as part of the challenge.

Scandinavia: a cultural region consisting of the countries of Norway, Sweden and Denmark and sometimes also Iceland, Finland and the Faroe Islands.

also Scandinavian: the northern branch of the Germanic languages, comprising Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, and Faroese, all descended from the Old Norse.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - I think you have quite a good case : ).

6:33 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

... and my lips are sealed ;D

10:29 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

Well Dorte told me at my blog that Iceland and Finland don't really count and because she lives in proper Scandinavia I know I should take her word on the subject. But as the only book I've read for the Scandinavian challenge is set in Iceland I suspect I'll play a bit fast and loose with the definition as well :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

I like the "brilliant" bit!

1:54 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Bernadette, I would never argue with Dorte, but I would tease her so doesn't geographical Scandinavia exclude Denmark. ;o)


Kerrie, brilliant is well deserved.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Now you are making progress, Norman! And soon we (meaning the northern part of Jutland) will tear ourselves apart from Denmark and unite with Scotland :D

7:55 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Dorte, some years ago we were in Galicia and there were signs in English which said 'This is not Spain-Freedom for Galicia".
Cornwall [Kernow] definitely wants to break away from England and join with Galicia, and possibly Scotland, Ireland and Wales in a Celtic Union. I did not realise North Jutland wanted to be in that club. Do you play the bagpipes?
I may read Hypothermia but I had better also read The Woman from Bratislava by Dane Leif Davidsen as part of my Scandinavian Challenge. ;o)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Well, if the choice is Copenhagen or Edinburgh ... But not until they have paid that parliament building. Scots think they are stingy, we know we are :O

1:43 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Danes are prudent and careful, not stingy Dorte. ;o)

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home