Friday, December 29, 2006

BEAUTY OF BLOGGING

Thanks to Rhian at It's a Crime!(or a mystery...) who informed me about the very interesting reading program at Bensenville Community Public Library near O'Hare airport, Chicago.

The program aims to get participants to read 52 books in 52 weeks, and the website has a lot of advice on starting a reader blog, and how to organise your reading.


Plus........

Now that have your own reader blog set up, you may be saying to yourself, “What should I write about?“ That’s the beauty of blogging. You can write about whatever you wish! There are a lot of reader blogs in the blogosphere, and no two are alike.
Visit some of our favorite reader blogs to get some ideas for your own reader blog:

Blog Happy
Crime Scraps
Dear Author
It’s a Crime
Journal of an Avid Reader
The Misadventures of Super Librarian
Occasional Book Reviews
Paperback Reader
Rosario’s Reading
Thrifty Reader

No my son/daughter/cousin/great aunt/uncle or nephew isn't a librarian in Illinois. It is a little bit frightening to think readers will come to these blogs expecting to get inspiration for their own blogs.

Input equals inspiration, and therefore I need to get back to my reading.

Behold she stands beside her inland sea
With outstretched hands to welcome you and me
For every art, for brotherhood she stands,
Love in her heart, and bounty in her hands
Chicago, Chicago, Chicago is my home
My heart is in Chicago, wherever I may roam [early pre 1920 city anthem]












4 Comments:

Anonymous Bernard Ury said...

I was in the Chicago public schools in the 1930s and 1940s when this song was sung in classrooms. The opening and closing lines stayed with me but I couldn't remember the middle ones. A query to the Chicago Board of Education went unanswered. It was just by chance that I came across your blog. Thanks for completing the memory.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Glad to be of assistance, Bernard.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, was in Chicago and we sang this in school every day. Still have one aunt and lots of cousins in Chicago. Went to Steinmetz and Wright Jr. College. Chicago schools were great, then. Am writing about growing up in Chicago on my blog and was looking up this song. Glad you had it.

Helene Volkman

2:24 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

You are welcome, Helen.
Although I now spend time most of my reading time on crime fiction, I was very interested in early 20th century American history, and the songs of that period.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home