Sunday, November 21, 2010

SWEDISH BEST CRIME NOVELS 2010: THE WINNERS




Continuing my Swedish theme a hat tip to Bokmania for the news that the prize for Best Swedish Crime Novel of 2010 was won by:

Den doende detektiven [The Dying Detective] by Leif G.W. Persson

This was the veteran Prof. Persson's ninth crime novel, and he has won this prize twice before, in 1982 with Samhallsbararna, and more recently in 2003 with En annan tid, ett ahat liv [Another time, another life].

I reviewed Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End [which I believe is the prequel to Another time, anther life] here and here.
I am hoping that when, and if, The Dying Detective reaches us in English it is a less repetitive and verbose tome than Between Summer's Longing.

The Martin Beck prize for the Best Crime Novel translated into Swedish went to Devil's Peak by Deon Meyer. I haven't read this book , but really enjoyed two of his other novels, Thirteen Hours and Blood Safari.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

Thanks for this update, Norman. I must embark on the "Summer's Longing etc etc" soon....as you say, the length is a bit daunting.

Glad to read about the Deon Meyer win. This book has been very well reviewed. I haven't read it yet as I have one more previous title by him to go before I get to Devil's Peak. I've read Meyer's books in a funny order but it doesn't seem to matter, they are all good.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - Thanks for this news. I am glad that Devil's Peak was a winner. I happen to like Deon Meyer's work, and it's good to know that it's getting recognition in other countries, too.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I picked up Devil's Peak in a bookshop, and saw it had a small font and went on to purchase Blood Safari, which I loved. Devil's Peak will be a good entry for Dorte's 2011 Global Challenge.
I think if I compared the writing styles of Sjowall/Wahloo and Leif G.W.Persson one would be taut and one tautologous.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Margot-Deon Meyer will be a featured guest at Crime Fest in Bristol in May 2011. Tempting?

I have been to Crime Fest twice, and noticed that all the hills [and there are a lot of them] seem to have got steeper since I was a student in the city from 1963-1968.

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home