Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TO BE READ NEXT..........


The mass media have already decided that a Royal Wedding will take our minds off the desperate state of the nation. Earlier today the media were full of the story that Mr Cameron, our Coalition Prime Minister, had given away the Sudetenland, but that has all been swept off the news by the forthcoming wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. I wish this couple all the best for their future, but their lives will be a lot easier than most other young couples getting married next year*, who will struggle financially because of the mess we are in as a nation.

It is lucky I have got a long "TBR next shelf " of books to shield me from the media blitz that will accompany everything about the Royal Wedding. After all there is a much more important wedding* happening late next year.

I hope to work my way through this selection of books over the next few months, along with any new releases from my favourites.
Four out of the sixteen books are WWII related, four out of sixteen set in Italy, four out of sixteen set in the Nordic countries, and two set in Asia; so I think it is a fair balance. But I don't promise to stick to this schedule if something good turns up and shouts "read me!"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - It is interesting, isn't it, the fascination people have for famous people. Their lives are no more hallowed than our own, and yet we find them irresistible...

And it looks as though you have got some nice reads coming up next!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Margot-the main headline on BBC is the Royal Wedding, followed by Payout [of millions] to ex-Guantanamo inmates, and Eurozone faces "survival crisis".
Unfortunately a royal wedding is not going to solve any of the terrible problems were are facing today. That said I think the young Prince William, who is so like his mother, will make a better monarch than his father.
Let us hope our dear Queen lives to a similar age to her mother.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

I did wonder whether young William might have been pressured to ask his lady for her hand purely because there is a pressing need in the country for a distraction.

I must admit over the past few years I have withdrawn almost completely from mainstream news as I find it contains so little actual news

11:43 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Bernadette-the beaming array of politicians appearing on the news hoping that some of the goodwill towards the happy couple will rub off on them is quite nauseating.
Our Prime Minister [Eton and Oxford] announced that "me and Samantha" were very happy at the announcement!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

Omigosh, this is too much; the "Royal Wedding" is supposed to take peoples' minds off cuts in pensions and other social programs.

How will that wedding pay one's rent or food bills?

It's even filtering across the pond. This has been a lead story on our morning news shows.

I can't take it; time for the crossword puzzle then.

Your book list is impressive. Can't wait for the reviews.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home