Friday, February 06, 2009

A FRIDAY FORGOTTEN BOOK: THE LOCKED ROOM BY MAJ SJOWALL AND PER WAHLOO



The charming Patti Abbott asked me to contribute a post to the long running Friday's Forgotten Books feature at her blog pattinase

I have to admit completely forgetting reading some crime fiction books, buying them again and getting to page 100 before I remember the plot. All those plots and characters keep whizzing round in my head and get me confused. 
It was only a few weeks ago when I watched the Swedish TV episode of Henning Mankell's Before The Frost on BBC 4 that I realised that I had read the book although I was quite sure that I had not when I read the TV schedule. 

Therefore I decided to write about a book that is one of my favourites but is forgotten by most people in comparison with the much better known Martin Beck books such as Roseanna and The Laughing Policeman.

Read my post about The Locked Room by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo here.  

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An evocative retrospective, Norman. As it happens, I have recently read this very book (my review is either at Euro Crime, or in the Euro Crime queue), and I think you capture it very well. It is remarkable how, if a book does not slavishly follow fashion but instead the passion of its author(s), it does not date. (Except, possibly, D H Lawrence.)

I did not know that these authors wrote their books after the children had gone to bed - very sweet!

So, you spend your time eating fish, I read? I am rather partial to a nice finned morsel, so I look forward to your advice on that front, at Crime Fest.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I think every police procedural with a team of detectives will be compared with either the 87th precinct or the Martin Beck books. When you read them you can see just how derivative so many other authors are and in that way are paying tribute to them.

On fish we are lucky to be so close to the coast and get the produce from the day boats so quickly in our local fish shop and fish restaurants.

I think your review is still in the queue Maxine but I will look out for your up to date impressions of The Locked Room.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home