Wednesday, February 06, 2008

QUIRKY QUIZ: WINTER EDITION: THE ANSWERS


I was astonished that the winner managed an incredible 8/10 correct answers, Well done!

A prize paperback [The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly] will be on its way to the winner as soon as I can find a Post Office, which can be difficult in the UK.


1) Which President was Governor of two different states?


A little trick question because Sam Houston was governor of Tennessee and governor of Texas, but was also President of the Texas Republic.


2) Raymond Chandler went to school at Dulwich College, which crime writers were educated at :


Stonyhurst.......Arthur Conan Doyle


Scollard Hall.....Giles Blunt.


Cambridge High School.....P.D.James


Abraham Lincoln High School..... David Dodge in L.A. or Reed Farrel Coleman in Brooklyn?


3) How are Jeroen van Aken and the River Porciuncula connected?


Well Jeroen van Aken was the real name of Hieronymous Bosch. From whom we get Michael Connelly's detective Harry Bosch based in L.A., and the River Porciuncula is the original Spanish name of the river through Los Angeles.



4) I am seven and three, with Eve's favourite fruit, created in Sardinia, but I only live in China and the USA? Who and what am I?


A tricky one, but what only lives in China and the USA?


Seven parts calvados with three parts of drambuie, with a slice of apple created by a barman in Cagliari for ........An alligator cocktail for Massimo Carlotto's character, Marco Burati aka The Alligator.


Can't make them too easy can I.


5) What does an Icelandic policewoman do that would endear her to an Italian policeman?


In Arnaldur Indridason's novel the detective Elinborg writes a cookbook which would surely please Italian detectives Salvo Montalbano and Guido Brunetti.



6) Who disappears in Budapest, and who goes to find him?


Alf Matsson disappears, and Martin Beck goes to find him in The Man Who Went Up In Smoke by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo.


7) Name the grandson of Mr Reich?


Peter Temple's detective Jack Irish....I.Reich



8) Who worked as an administrator in the British National Health Service?


P.D.James, and she seems to have retained her sanity.


9) Maurice Roy Ridley was a visiting professor at Bowdoin College, what is his claim to crime fiction fame?


He was the model for Lord Peter Wimsey, the aristocratic detective created by Dorothy L. Sayers.



10) Samarkand, and Snowden's Ladies Companion. What is the connection?


Another tricky one. Edgar Allan Poe's first published poetry was entitled Tamerlane and other poems (1827). Tamerlane's capital was Samarkand and Poe's Mystery of Marie Roget first appeared in Snowden's Ladies Companion.


The next Quirky Quiz, the Spring Edition will be in March or April, but I may have a mini quiz to keep the little grey matter working a bit before then.

Thanks for taking part, and perhaps next time you will win a prize with a choice from some of the greatest crime books ever written.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only knew the answer to number 8, which was why I didn't enter.
Seeing the answers, you had some tricky stuff in there, you fiend!
Whoever it was that managed 8 correct answers; well, they truly deserve their prize. What a star!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Luckily as a retired dentist I have been called a lot worse than "fiend" during my career. ;)

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only one I could answer without cheating (ie looking up) was no 7. Now I see the answers, I should have known one or two more.
But your mind is totally tortouous, Norm!
I wonder when you are going to reveal the person who managed to score an impressive 80 %!

By the way, changing the subject, did you see Declan Burke's post on your campaign? Have just noticed it. It is Cathy's 17th birthday today, so I'm a bit distracted.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Happy Birthday to Cathy!

I have thanked Declan for his support, and my thanks to you as well for signing the petition. I remain optimistic that the trustees will change their minds as we have three meetings coming up in March.

As for my tortuous mind I used to listen to Round Britain Quiz a lot years ago, and I remember the obscure connections and impossible questions that were asked on that program.

I think I should preserve the privacy of the winner, unless they want to reveal themselves. They do have an advantage in that they are much closer in age to me than you young ones, and might understand the convoluted thought processes of my elderly mind better. ;)

I have a crime mini quiz in mind for next week or the week after,which will be more straight forward and much easier. I promise!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Maxine, I had to use question 6 before you reached The Man Who Went Up In Smoke in your Swedish reading decathlon.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home