Tuesday, December 04, 2007

THEOLOGICAL PROBLEMS


I have just read Ken Bruen's novel Priest [review to be posted in next few days] and I think I will tuck it away from sight just in case. I have visions of one of the "Holy Dusters" the little Irish ladies, who volunteer to clean the local Catholic Church dropping in, seeing Priest, and exclaiming "Oh! a religious book can I borrow it!"


I might have to spring across the room and rip it from their hands. On the other hand listening to these Irish ladies it is pretty clear that they understand that Ireland has changed, and that the new wealth has not brought happiness to everyone.

The Celtic Tiger has a fierce appetite, which is great for the inspiration and plots it gives crime writers, but not so good for the victims.

The suicide of young men has been called the Irish Disease, so perhaps the "Holy Dusters" might nod their heads in agreement with Jack Taylor, and his creator Ken Bruen.


5 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I understand you have something in England called "old dears." Could any of these be likely readers of Priest? In any case, I don't think these readers would be any likelier to enjoy the opening chapter of Bruen's Cross.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

9:45 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

It sounds like another one for my TBR mountain.
We have millions of "old dears" in the UK if you went to a post office on pension day you would be trampled by them in the rush to reach the counter.
Now they have closed the post offices and make direct payments resulting in the loss of social interaction for our old dears.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Although I've read eight or nine of Ken Bruen's novels, Cross is not one of them. I know about it through a video of Bruen reading the first chapter. Ali Karim posted the clip on his blog some time ago. You may be able to find it.

Earlier this year in Chichester's tourist office, a bright, kindly elderly woman apologized for the rain, told me she was a volunteer at the gallery in town, and invited me to visit the gallery (which I had planned to do anyway). Does that sound like an old dear to you?
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

8:49 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Yes, definitely an old dear.
I do hope apologising for the British weather to transatlantic tourists is not the only qualification for being an old dear, or else there are a lot of us around.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It's the way she apologized that qualified her for beatification as an old dear. She was so sweet and kindly and concerned that I wanted to pat her hand and say, "There, there" when she apologized for the rain.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home