Friday, August 31, 2007

NORDIC EPIC




My thirty year quest to obtain all 10 of the Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo Martin Beck series is over. The Abominable Man arrived the other day and I can sit and admire my completed collection.


The Harper Perennial books of which I now have three have certain advantages over my other assortment of editions. Firstly they have introductions, interviews, essays and insights into the series, and secondly the print is large enough to be read by my older eyes.


I am certain that when I get round to actually reading these books I will enjoy them as much as I did the other seven.


'One of the most authentic, gripping and profound collections of police procedural ever accomplished.' Michael Connelly

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I wouldn't mind reading a comment from you about the introductory essays in the Harper Perennial editions. I'd like to see how current writers look back on Sjowall and Wahloo. Henning Mankell wrote one of the introductions, and I'd heard another name, but it slipped my mind. Who wrote the others?

===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

2:32 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I will get round to this some time.
The three Harpers I have include two introductions by Michael Carlson and Colin Dexter.
I have just noticed some of the extra essays are duplicated in the books, which is rather disappointing.

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home