Wednesday, January 06, 2010

ROB'S CLASSIC CRIME FICTION CURRICULUM CHALLENGE

Rob's challenge over at The View From The Blue House is to choose ten pre-1970 classic crime books for someone who has only read contemporary crime fiction. I covered some of this ground with my Dartmoor Dozen choices [click and scroll down for all the posts on this subject] last year but decided to slightly vary my choices this time, although of course there are some authors and some books you just cannot ignore in making a classic crime fiction selection.

1] The Moonstone: Wilkie Collins 1868

2] The Hound of the Baskervilles: Arthur Conan Doyle 1902
3] The Murder of Roger Ackroyd: Agatha Christie 1926
4] The Maltese Falcon: Dashiell Hammett 1930
5] Gaudy Night: Dorothy L. Sayers 1935
6] Farewell, My Lovely: Raymond Chandler 1940
7] The ABC Murders: Agatha Christie 1936
8] The Talented Mr Ripley: Patricia Highsmith 1957
9] From Doon With Death: Ruth Rendell 1964
10] Roseanna: Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo 1965

No apologies for choosing two books by Agatha Christie after my multiple visits to Greenway last year I had to restrain myself from choosing more.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Moonstone is such a brilliant book, I absolutely devoured it! Creepy all the way through!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home