The Pavilion was opened was opened in 1912 using a golden key to signify the beginning of a golden age for the resort. The greatest names of British music were proud to perform there including Edward Elgar and Thomas Beecham.
But on the evening of January 4th 1913 when Agatha and Archie Christie were in the audience it was for a program of music by Wagner. After the concert they returned to Agatha's home at Ashfield and Archie proposed to her.
The photograph shows a view of The Pavilion taken from the Princess Gardens, an area previously of marsh land opened to the public after 200,00 tons of rubble were used as infill, and the attractive lawns and gardens planted. [Information taken from Exploring Agatha Christie Country by David Gerrard]