Sunday, January 11, 2009

CASTING LISBETH SALANDER



Last night I watched a few minutes of actor David Suchet explaining how he had read most of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels in order to play the part in the TV series. He was particularly keen to look like the Poirot of the books, walk like him, exhibit all the mannerisms and use a voice 'that came from the head' and therefore talk as he imagined Poirot would talk. He obviously felt he owed this devotion to the author, the books, the character and the audience.
Whoever cast David Suchet in the part knew that he would physically bear a strong resemblance to the image of Hercule Poirot in the books.

I have not quite finished reading Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire but I have enjoyed reading it considerably more than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 
In the books especially in 'Played With Fire' the author goes into great detail in describing Lisbeth Salander. She is described in various parts of the book as being either 124 centimetres or 150 centimetres tall, weighing 40 kilograms and being 26 years old but easily mistaken for a 14 year old schoolgirl.

In non-metric terms Lisbeth Salander is under 5 foot tall, weighs about 6 stone, and looks 14. 

The movies of Larsson's Millennium trilogy have been cast with Michael Nyqvist as Blomkvist and Noomi Rapace-Noren as Lisbeth. I don't know the work of actress Noomi Rapace-Noren but she is going to have to pull off a phenomenal performance to convince readers of the books that she is Lisbeth Salander. 
I think I will stick to the image that Stieg Larsson gave us in the books. 

I will post my review of The Girl Who Played With Fire during the week but there is already a definitive and balanced review by Maxine of Petrona on Euro Crime here

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely agree, Norman. Lisbeth - hmmmm ;-)
Looking forward to your review and thank you for your kind words about mine.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

My review is posted now Maxine.

3:01 PM  
Blogger We the people said...

I am not sure about Rapace-Noren as Salander. She seems too tall and not with delicate bones. She also wld not be mistaken for 14 at a glance no matter how the makeup is done. perhaps someone more like Ellen Page who played Juno in the movie of the same title.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rapace IS Lisbeth Salander in the US
I can't imagine better casting for the role - and yes, I read all three books before I saw the first movie, and my reaction upon her first entrance was YES!!! - they got it right!!!! - and nothing has changed.

I think I will give the Hollywood version a pass, however - like Bernard Cornwell's character Sharpe, who was personified by Sean Beane, Salander is now, and forever will be, Noomi Rapace

I will be interested in seeimg Rapace in other roles - although vanishingly few Swedish films are released in the US

1:44 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I agree after seeing the first two films, see my post here.
http://bit.ly/dtX0WJ

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home