Saturday, September 27, 2008

JAR CITY:TAINTED BLOOD: THE FILM





Iceland's tourist board will not be pleased with the view of the country portrayed in director Baltasar Kormakur's film Jar City. We went to see this film at our local Picture House [at reduced rate for senior citizens ;o))] and this was superb cinema with atmospheric Icelandic choir music, beautiful cinematography of the bleak scenery and compelling acting. 
Kormakur accurately transposed Arnaldur Indridason's Glass Key winning novel, published in the UK as Tainted Blood, with its gripping story to the screen.
It was particularly pleasing that actors had been cast who fitted the image of the characters from the books. There were fine performances from Ingvar Sigurdsson as the perfect Erlendur and Agusta Eva Erlendsdottir as his daughter Eva Lind, and it was their relationship that made this such a moving film. There was also an excellent brooding performance by Atli Rafn Sigurdsson as Orn.
If you have not read any of the Indridason books I am sure you will want to remedy that in the future after seeing this film. 

I should warn you that Icelandic cuisine is not up to Andrea Camilleri's Italian standards and Erlendur's  favourite meal is sheep's head. 

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got to see it, Norman. Senior citizens' rates sound very attractive compared with what they charge at the Odeon here (about £7.60 I think, not including popcorn;-) ). Very tantalising post, I am soooo keen to see this film. And, when I was checking out my local cinema in vain, I see Mr V. Mortensen is appearing in a movie there this week, so now I'll have to see that too. (I don't know what it is about, quite possibly paint drying, but I don't mind.)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

For the over 60s £5.50 after 5.00 pm and £4.50 before 5.00 pm; but what is very annoying is that the young whippersnappers on the ticket sales have never asked for ID.

I must admit Mr Mortensen was very good in a History of Violence. But have noticed that Kristin Scott Thomas is starring in some French film, not Tell No One which I missed so I might be cinema going again.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, it turned out to be £8.40!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

So there are some advantages in being almost an OAP!
I wish they would ask for ID when I request a senior citizens ticket. ;o)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Oh, all these adult pleasures one is too young to partake in :(
I am not too young to appreciate Viggo, though. I hope you realize that this wonder is part of our genetic pool :)

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home