Monday, May 26, 2008

CRIME SCRAPS COMPETITION:THE BROKEN SHORE WON


To win a copy of Peter Temples's novel The Broken Shore set in Australia the question was: 

Who was the commander of the largest Allied army corps on the Western Front in 1918, and what is his connection with a university and $100? 

The winner by a few hours "Ah now I see" over a runner up who stated:

" I can't believe how obvious the answer is....." 

That greatly pleased me as I was beginning to think my questions were too difficult.

Of course the answer was Sir John Monash, commander of the Australian Corps in 1918, whose picture is on the Australian $100 bill, and for whom Monash University is named.

Prize courtesy of Picador USA.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mack said...

This was a great question. Tricky but not impossible. It reminds me of a professor at my university who would give his classes a list of twelve questions that came to be known as his "dirty dozen." They challenged the librarians as much as the students.

Like others, I got hung up on Black Jack Pershing because I found a connection to $100. If I had remembered in time that that the U.S. is not the only country using the dollar as a unit of currency I might now be eagerly awaiting my copy of The Broken Shore.

As it is, I learned a bit more about World War One and I count that as a success.

So I say don't change the type of questions you pose.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Mack. I won't.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never change, Norm --- we love you as you are. They broke the mould when they made you.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home