Monday, January 15, 2007

BIG STAR


In her latest post at the excellent and informative It's a Crime! (or a mystery) crimefic reader discusses her purchase of her first DVD boxed set; the US TV series NCIS [Naval Criminal Investigation Service].

There is also a link to the long discussion on Petrona about the series star Mark Harmon, who obviously has made an impression on the "ladies who blog".


Therefore I thought I would feature one of my favourite US TV series, that not only had the exciting Roseanne Barr, but in the first series a very young George Clooney.
I think that as well as the crisp sharp comedy there was a lot of social comment in this series about life in small town America. The struggles of these "blue collar" working families were just so different from the usual Dallas and Dynasty image that television and films potrayed. It was a breath of fresh air.
But like many TV shows after a few seasons the scripts deteriorated, and it fell away and become just another run of the mill comedy series.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess what, Norm?
I think it's "ladies of a certain age who blog".
I honestly don't think that those <37 would appreciate his appeal!

As for Roseanne, thanks for the reminder. It was certainly "fresh" for its time. I honestly don't think there's been anything like it since either!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I have to admire the coolness of Mark Harmon's Agent Gibbs. In the last NCIS I saw, when threatened by a Mafia don that his relatives would be killed, Gibbs said he had no close relative alive but he did have three ex-wives and that he would gladly fax the mafia their names and addresses.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only have boxed sets for seasons 1 & 2, so I think you're ahead of me there!
However, ntl has recently seen fit to add channel five back to my provision, so I can now watch the current series.
And as you know, many think the actor is cool! (Club Harmon @ Petrona...)

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home