Monday, June 14, 2010

CHALLENGES



I am struggling a little with the book I am reading at the moment, and a review will no doubt appear at some time in the future. Unless the second half is a much better read than the turgid first half my review might put me in a minority of one, because this author has won everything available in this galaxy, and is incredibly popular.
Let's hope it is a book of two halves, because it has been a real challenge to get this far without sending it to the charity shop.
Do other people ever find that they read a new author, who everyone else says is superb, and you just find them a bit boring?

Updating Amy's Scandinavian Crime Fiction Challenge, I have read five of the six books to complete the challenge.
And for Dorte's 2010 Global Challenge, which I am attempting at the medium level, I have read ten of the twelve books required [although I cheated and read two from the USA, because I had not read the instructions properly] and now need two Australasian books read to complete the challenge.

These challenges will have to await completion for a while.

When I finish the problem book I will move on to read something that I am sure will be more my scene, The White Gallows by Rob Kitchin, who blogs at The View from the Blue House; and then "Banks is Back" as I have Peter Robinson's latest book Bad Boy on my schedule, my review of that one will appear on Euro Crime in due course.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman - I know just what you mean about an author others truly like and you don't. That's happened to me, too... I haven't read The White Gallows yet, but I'm eager to, and if The Rule Book is any indication, it'll be a good read.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I was really chuffed that Rob used part of my review among his blurbs, and I am keen to move on to start The White Gallows.
The current book has been burbling on about a subject that I know a lot about [there are a few ;o)] and it is really annoying me, but surely it must get better soon...........

11:12 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

Norman I can empathaise. I seem to be the only human on the planet who doesn't get Jo Nesbo as I got stuck about a third of the way into The Redbreast and wanted to gouge my own eyes out with a spoon - rarely for me i have put it aside to try again one day (normally I wouldn't bother but I figure everyone else loves him so it must have been something about my mood at the time that made it unreadable to me).

12:10 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hi Uriah,

I'm dealing with a problem book right now too. It is so incredibly lifeless that I just want to toss it. I can't see what the fuss is about.

So, is "really chuffed" a good thing or a bad thing?

Take care,
Amy
www.theblacksheepdances.com

1:52 PM  
Blogger Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Norman, I'm more intrigued about the book are you reading.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Bernadette, I must admit that I found The Redbreast, a little difficult, but Nemesis, The Devil's Star, The Redeemer [not quite as good] and The Snowman are brilliant in my opinion. If we all liked the same books it would be a very dull world.

Amy, "really chuffed' is an informal British expression that dates to the 1950s [when I was growing up] and means very pleased. I will try and stop using these informalities, but in case I don't if something goes "pear shaped" it means it has failed dismally.
We aren't reading the same book are we? ;o)

Jose Ignacio, very sorry it will have to remain a secret until I finish the book. ;o) I am over 200 pages in now so only another 170 to go.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Dorte H said...

Great progress on your challenges!

And I agree with Bernadette and others, it is absolutely okay not to like what other readers loved. I have also tried to get into the Italian writers you are so fond of in FriendFeed, but so far I have not been really thrilled about any of them.

But you mustn´t stop using expressions like ´chuffed´. I learn quite a lot by reading Donna´s blog (and her books!), and as long as there is a person behind the blog we can ask it is just great to expand one´s horizon.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Dorte.

I also love Donna's Glaswegian gems, and they remind me of a dear Scottish uncle [married to one of my mother's six sisters], who died tragically young. His strong Glasgow accent meant I never understood a single word he said!

I will continue to try to include some 1950s cockney expressions and hope things don't go "pear shaped". ;o)

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home