Friday, July 17, 2009

OFF TOPIC: HARRY POTTER AND CRICKET



Yesterday after a trip across a very wet Dartmoor I took my younger son to see Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince at our excellent local cinema, the Picture House. It wasn't too crowded at an early afternoon showing and the audience was almost entirely adult.
I think it was the best of the Harry Potter films that I have seen and really enjoyable even for someone who has not read the books.

The only upsetting moment was that when Hermione Granger announced that her muggle parents were dentists, the subsequent hushed silence on the screen was matched by a sharp intake of breath by the cinema audience.

In between reading crime fiction I am enjoying a wonderful book by Pelham Warner [England's captain] about the victorious 1911-1912 cricket tour to Australia, when England won back the Ashes 4-1. [see photo above]
I thought that by reading about one of England's greatest ever teams it might improve the form of the present lot. And so far it is working!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorte H said...

I know that feeling. Dentists are a bit scarier ;)

Good to hear the new Harry Potter is the best. My daughters are looking forward to it and have just watched 1-5 - again.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Dorte I have not seen all the Potters this was my third I think but it was very good with a lot going on and some wonderfully over the top performances.

As a dentist I am afraid I was not scary enough, and patients used to say a visit did not feel like coming to a "proper" dentist. Mainly because we used to like to have a joke with the patients, but never at their expense.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home