Sunday, May 17, 2009

THE RETURN FROM CRIMEFEST 2009 IN BRISTOL


The last time I drove regularly between Bristol and Bath, Park Street seemed like a gentle slope, Lyndon Johnson was the US President, and there was broken glass on top of the walls of the women's halls of residence. Perhaps that is why I was so exhausted by my four days in the Bath-Bristol-Swindon area, I am getting old and Bristol has got a lot busier in the last 40 odd years.
I didn't have a lap top or other clever device to post direct from the convention but did have my trusty camera and over the next few days will try to give you an impression of my two days in the countryside and two very pleasant if truncated days at the convention. 
What a very charming and friendly crew the crime fiction community are!
The photo shows the haul of books I was given on the right and the three books I bought on the left. Getting this lot back to my car was a fairly exhausting process for this decrepit old wreck. To think when I was accepted at Bristol University  in 1963 I was quite a good rugby player, and now I would be struggling to cope with a game of chess with Inspector Van Veeteren.
When I post about Crime Fest 2009 please excuse any name dropping, it is unavoidable in reporting anything about an event which was attended by so many authors, translators and bloggers.
To be continued.........

8 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

How did you discover that broken glass, you young dog, you?
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

4:42 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Norman - it was lovely to meet you, and I'm sorry I didn't see you the next day to get more of a chance to chat.
Donna

10:46 PM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

You've got some serious reading to do there Norman

2:12 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Peter, I was informed by those who attempted to climb out. :o) I was far too studious and working too hard to indulge in such antics.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Donna, it was even lovelier to meet you and I would have wanted to have spent more time with you chatting. You were very busy at the time. I must plan my time better next year as I found myself stretched between Bristol, Bath and Swindon. The result of all this stretching was not an increase in my height but my total exhaustion.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Kerrie, serious reading indeed and some serious lifting to get them back to my car.
Crime Fest was very exciting, perhaps too exciting for an old boy, but it was great to meet and talk with some of the people that I had met online.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Kate S. said...

What a marvelous haul of books. I see several titles there that I'm keen to read!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Hi Kate S
I did pick up some fine books. I will post about some of these in the next few days. Most of them were acquired from those lovely ladies Karen of Euro Crime and Maxine of Petrona. The free book bag did however contain Raven Black winner of the Duncan Lawrie Best Crime novel in 2006 by Ann Cleeves which was a real bonus.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home