Sunday, September 21, 2008

VOICES WON: THE FASTEST GUN ON THE WEB


Arnaldur Indridason's Voices has been won with one of the fastest replies I have had to a quiz question. This is a salutary lesson and I will need to do some serious work to make the Quirky Quiz more convoluted and difficult.

Thanks to those who fired their answers in so quickly last night and I am sorry there could be only one winner. 
The winner from Canada came in 1 hour 26 minutes ahead of the USA, with a very worthy third place entry from Italy 11 minutes back. Better luck next time.

What is the connection between 4,12,50 and 200 miles; Gadhus morhua and a British supermarket chain specializing in frozen food?

The answer of course is:

Gadhus Morhua is the Atlantic Cod, and that fish was at the heart of the fishing wars between Iceland and Britain, in the course of which Iceland -- in 1958, 1972 and 1975 -- tried progressively to extend its fishing limits from 4 to 12 to 50 to 200 miles.  And the name of that supermarket is 'Iceland'.
 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Canada again. They know their crime fiction, that is for sure!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Mack said...

I knew I shouldn't have stopped to feed the cats. I believe one of the ingredients of their dinner was cod. Oh, the irony.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

If I had known you were a cat lover I would have fixed the result. Try for the Snake Stone it is very different from voices but still interesting.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home