Friday, April 04, 2008

THE BIG ONE: QUIRKY QUIZ SPRING EDITION




I have a suspicion these questions are far too easy for my very intelligent readership. But I have taken pity on you and made the questions a bit easier this time.
We will see if anyone can get all the answers, or at least beat the phenomenal 80% success rate achieved by the winner of the last quiz.


And remember the winner will have as their prize a choice of book from one of the giants of the crime fiction genre, and the satisfaction of outwitting me.

Here we go:

1) An easy one to start; Slang for an English florin, an imitative bird, and No 3 in Paris what is the cinematic connection? A full explanation please.

2) What is the link between a Maltese Jew, an African Queen and James T. Kirk?

3) The first of the straightforward multiple questions this one on detective partnerships, who works or worked with; Kollberg, Elinborg, Frank Frolich, Gunvald Larsson, and Jacob Skaare?

4) By what names are the following better known:
Gordon Daviot, Mary Patricia Plangman, Grigory Chkhartishviti, Tobias Leo Pevsner, Edith Pargeter, Elizabeth MacKintosh, Frank Morrison, and J.I.M.Stewart?

5) What is the link between a German prize, a sinister Trinidadian, and ten priestly commandments?

6) How was an author of a Roman epic unaffected when a detective changed his name?

7) Who was requested to go to the Court of the Pope, and what was the connection with Lebanon?

8) Who in the world of crime fiction worked as a:

Professor of Forensic Pathology
Professor of Medical Law
Professor of Mathematics
Professor of French
Professor of Anthropology

9) How are a system of metal pipes, hounds crossing a river, and a saintly Milanese bishop connected?

10) Guns play a big part in crime fiction but in real life who said:

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

And

When I hear the word ***** I reach for my Browning.


What is the missing word and who said it?
*****************************************

I can hear those little grey cells working now.
Very good luck, and please send your answers to THBear08@gmail.com
The closing date for prize entry is 5 May, which gives you plenty of time to work out the answers.

6 Comments:

Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I was teasing when I said I had made them easier I can't believe anyone could achieve a 50% mark on this lot.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

I'm glad you said that, Norm -- I thought perhaps my cognitive processes were going wonky. I've got five of them, but I am viewing the others with awe, gearing up for some heavy-duty puzzling, and praying for inspiration. You have exelled yourself, I am happy to say.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All those connection questions, it reads like a Mensa test!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Philip FIVE!!!! This quiz is supposed to keep you busy for weeks. I shall have to use a new photo I am not the Einstein of quiz questions if you have five so quickly.:o(

cfr, well you would much prefer it to be a MENSA test rather than a TV quiz.;o)

2:06 PM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

Ah, it is not as good/bad as it may seem at first blush, Norm. The five I popped in the bag rather quickly were 3,4,6,8 and 10, i.e., the kinder and gentler ones. The remaining five are another matter altogether. I think I have one of them and an inkling about another, but I am not even sure of that, and staring at the other three has so far produced nothing but strabismus.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I feel better now. ;o)

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home