Saturday, February 23, 2008

RACCOMANDATO


I don't deserve the opinion of the mellifluous Maxine at Petrona as stated below:


When I saw the headline Fashion crimes on this week's table of contents in the TLS newsletter, I immediately thought of Italian crime fiction expert extraodinaire, Uriah Robinson (aka Norman Price) of Crime Scraps, whose fiendish and comprehensive understanding of the country's crime psychology (dentistry pales in comparison) is second to nobody's, and that includes Italians. (See here for a typical Norman post, but there are many others of this ilk at Crime Scraps.)

The TLS article so titled is a review of Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano, translated by Virginia Jewiss (Macmillan UK; Farrar, Straus & Giroux US). I've read reviews of this book before, but this is a particularly good one.

Read the full post at:



I have to shamefully admit that I have not read this book, I must remedy that omission soon in order to retain my expert status. ;0)


But it does give me the opportunity to post a photograph, and ask where was it taken?
[Clue in Maxine's post]

4 Comments:

Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

Norm, having read that review at the TLS, I personally might be a tad wary of this book -- it had the hallmarks of something perhaps a tad pretentious? Not sure- - but if it were me, I'd definitely flick through a copy before deciding to buy....might be rather heavy going.
As for the test -- I would not know but based on your clue I wonder if it is a place beginning with Co (and I don't mean the colisseum)?

5:08 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Thanks Maxine, no I don't do pretentious when it comes to crime books, fact or fiction.
Life is too short to wade through books that are difficult to read. But I usually find that university professors [of history at least] read so many books that they make things easy for the reader.

The photo does not begin with Co, and is not near Rome.;o)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Philip Amos said...

I get the impression that the inside of this place might make arctic Blenheim seem cozy. Is it the Reggia di Caserta?

2:07 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

You are correct Philip, Reggia di Caserta, the palace of the Bourbon Kings. I like the Tudor houses, and find the Victorian Gothic style very interesting, but these 18th century mausoleums leave me very cold.
The photograph dates from 1981 and I had driven from Maiori on the Amalfi Coast to Caserta, and remember being totally terrified by Italian driving standards, or lack of them.

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home