Friday, February 01, 2008

ITALIAN FEAST:CRIMINI




I have started to read Crimini, The Bitter Lemon Press Book of Italian Crime Fiction, a collection of short stories, edited by Giancarlo De Cataldo, and translated from the Italian by Andrew Brown.

The preface by De Catlado discusses the three themes of the stories, corruption, foreigners, and the obsession with individual success.

I have only read the first tale by Niccolo Ammaniti and Antonio Manzini, and the start of the second by Carlo Lucarelli, but the writing in both stories has been exceptionally sharp, and incisive. I may save the rest after I finish the Lucarelli for another day, I don't want to spoil myself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I hope you'll get around to discussing that introduction. Italy's corruption is a byword; I'd like to hear what Italians, especially crime writers, think of it.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

2:53 PM  
Blogger Kerrie said...

Here in Australia we have a national reading scheme called "The Big Book Club". In 2003 I'M NOT SCARED by Niccolo Ammaniti was a recommended read,following on from Ammaniti being a guest at the Sydney Writer's Festival.
http://www.thebigbookclub.com.au/page.php?section=348&mId=225

6:04 PM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

Kerrie thanks for that information.
The Ammaniti/Manzini tale was witty amusing as well as hard hitting. The main protagonist Paolo Bocchi, reminded me of a surgeon I came across years ago, although his problem wasn't cocaine it was women.

Peter, it was only a two page introduction but I will post more details in the next week.
We have had a number of interesting "corruption" cases in the UK during the last few weeks. I suspect "clientelsimo", putting numerous relatives on the public payroll, is still endemic in Italy ,and it is essential to have a "famiglia importante".
It seems we have been on the same route here for some time, and the extent is only now becoming public knowledge.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

So the UK has managed to join Europe even without adopting the euro!
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home