Friday, September 22, 2006

FIRST OF THE SWEDES


It has been a long time since I read this the first of ten outstanding books that were written from 1965-1975 by the husband and wife team of Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo.

Three of the books which had previously been unavailable will be published next year.

They are:

Murder at the Savoy
The Abominable Man
The Fire Engine that Disappeared

The current crop of Scandinavian crimewriters owe a lot to the Sjowall and Wahloo style of social comment mixed with police procedural, even those two masters of the genre Henning Mankell and Arnaldur Indridason.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how long does it take you to read a book? Before I started blogging I read 1 a day or 2 days. Now I'm lucky to read one a week.
I just did a drastic cull of my Amazon basket and got it down from 150 items to 50. I've got at least 100 unread books in piles around the house. I'd love to read this series, sounds great and I've enjoyed other Swedish crime fiction--- any advice? see a shrink? quit my job?

5:33 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I read in bursts and while sometimes it takes me weeks to get through a book, at other times I will read 4 or 5 in a week.
I have been so busy this week with travelling to London etc that I am still immersing myself in Blood From A Stone, while trying to finish a book about the Battle of Salamis 480BC.
Definitely quit your job, work is incompatible reading for pleasure. After I retired at the young age of 59, I was told by a colleague that doctors who retire at 65 have an average 7 MONTH life expectancy and those that retire at 60 have a 20 YEAR life expectancy!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

incompatible WITH reading for pleasure. I must get my eyes tested.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home